[Dune] Parallel Jacobi, application example, similar to overlapping Schwarz ?

Oswald Benedikt Benedikt.Oswald at psi.ch
Mon Jan 22 16:42:18 CET 2007

Hi All,

we are in the midst of parallelizing our finite-element time-domain
Maxwell solver using DUNE/ISTL. Up to now, we have used the sequential
Jacobi solver, provided by DUNE/ISTL. To study reasoanbly sized systems,
in particular for validating them against analytical solutions, we need
to run larger problems. That's why we must go paralle.

Here is what we do: we use a 3d ALUgrid tetrahedron mesh, build up
the FE matrices on every cpu and then solve this linear system.

We have studied the grid-how-to chapter 8, in particular we know
how to communicate specfic mesh entities using the data handle classes.
We have also read the paper on "The Iterative Solver Template Library"

Where we would appreciate some input is on how to practically use the
ISTL jacobi class, in a similar way like the Overlapping Schwarz things,
which are templatized by communication interface classe.

A short application example would be most useful,

Best regards and thanks in advance,

Benedikt and Patrick

Benedikt Oswald, Dr. sc. techn., dipl. El. Ing. ETH, www.psi.ch, Computational Accelerator Scientist
Paul Scherrer  Institute (PSI), CH-5232 Villigen, Suisse, benedikt.oswald at psi.ch, +41(0)56 310 32 12