[Dune] Intention of usage and application of: ISTL Communication versus CollectiveCommunication in Dune/Grid ?

Benedikt Oswald benedikt.oswald at psi.ch
Thu Jul 26 10:36:52 CEST 2007

Dear Dune developers, we are currently studying parallezaiton for
our code. There I stumbled over two different (in my perception)
but similiar things:

there is ISTL Communication capability and there is CollectiveCommunication
in the Dune/Grid module ?

What are the different, intended application areas of these
communication interfaces ? Is ISTL Communicatin only to be used
in ITSL related things, e.g. for communication IndexSets etc ?

Or, is it it a general communication interface ?

For example in our application we need to communicate some
matrix elements, for computing the defect in a Jacobi iterative scheme.
Should we use CollectiveCommunication in Dune/Grid or the ISTL Communication ?

Thanks and best regards, Benedikt

Benedikt Oswald, Dr. sc. techn., dipl. El. Ing. ETH, www.psi.ch, Computational Accelerator Scientist,
Paul Scherrer  Institute (PSI), CH-5232 Villigen, Suisse, benedikt.oswald at psi.ch, +41(0)56 310 32 12
quamquam sint sub aqua, sub aqua maledicere temptant. http://maxwell.psi.ch/amaswiki/index.php/User:BenediktOswald