[Dune] DUNE License

Sven Marnach sven at pantoffel-wg.de
Mon Mar 12 16:05:07 CET 2007

Hello,

the release of DUNE 1.0 approaching, I would like to reinitiate the
discussion about the license of DUNE.  On our meeting in February we
agreed on changing the license to GPL with an exception for linking
and compiling against DUNE.  The rationale for this license change is
that the LGPL isn't suitable for C++ template libraries.  The common
belief is that the LGPL is euqivalent to the GPL in this case -- see
for example the below link.

Probably it would be easiest to clone the license of the GNU libstdc++
called "Runtime GPL".  Details can be found here:

  http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/17_intro/license.html

To make the license change valid, we decided to ask the universities
and the persons who contributed to DUNE for there permission.  Has
there already been any action in this regard?  Are there any
objections to the concrete wording of the exception?

Thimo, do you agree with this license change?

Greetings from Stuttgart,
    Sven