[Dune] DUNE License

Mario Ohlberger mario at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de
Thu Mar 15 11:13:30 CET 2007

Hello,

   Andreas, Robert and myself agree with the proposed license.
If all other developers agree as well, I will start to ask our
University for the permission.

Best regards,

Mario.

Sven Marnach wrote:
> Hello,
>
> the release of DUNE 1.0 approaching, I would like to reinitiate the
> discussion about the license of DUNE.  On our meeting in February we
> agreed on changing the license to GPL with an exception for linking
> and compiling against DUNE.  The rationale for this license change is
> that the LGPL isn't suitable for C++ template libraries.  The common
> belief is that the LGPL is euqivalent to the GPL in this case -- see
> for example the below link.
>
> Probably it would be easiest to clone the license of the GNU libstdc++
> called "Runtime GPL".  Details can be found here:
>
>   http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/17_intro/license.html
>
> To make the license change valid, we decided to ask the universities
> and the persons who contributed to DUNE for there permission.  Has
> there already been any action in this regard?  Are there any
> objections to the concrete wording of the exception?
>
> Thimo, do you agree with this license change?
>
> Greetings from Stuttgart,
>     Sven

  Dr. Mario Ohlberger		     Tel.: +49-761/203-5635
  Abteilung f. Angewandte Mathematik Fax.: +49-761/203-5632
  Universitaet Freiburg
  Hermann-Herder-Str. 10
  D-79104 Freiburg

  E-Mail: mario at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de