[Dune] svn or release version of DUNE

Christian Engwer christi at uni-hd.de
Sun Jun 22 12:59:45 CEST 2008

> could you please let me know, on what it depends, which version --- svn or
> release to use
> for implementing a certain numerical scheme in DUNE+DUNE-fem.

Please look through the recent changes, whether there are any
features, whihc require you to use the development branch.

> If there are
> a lot of support added  in svn-version for making the development process
> easier?

No. It is always more tricky to work with the development branch, as
the code might be changing a lot. We make no guarantee to not break
you code. So you will alwways have to take care keeping your code
running.

For newbies I'd always recommend the stable version.

> Would it cause problems having both versions on one computer?

As long as you know what you are doing you can have as many different
versions of dune on your computer as you like. But you must configure
your environment accordingly.

Judging you unix shell skills (sorry if I miss estimate these) I'd
guess, that you should not try to use these different versions of
Dune. There is no documentation on this and we can not give you any
support. These issues are not Dune related but are a question of
whether you are a "hard core -- I know know all the dirty tricks" user
of your favorite operating system or a "I just want it to work" user.

Hope I coud answer you questions, again I encourage you to use the
stable release and to use just these features you are sure you need.

Cheers Christian