[Dune] suggestion for testing

Oliver Sander sander at mi.fu-berlin.de
Mon May 19 09:20:24 CEST 2008

Hi!
I agree to all that has been said here, with one exception:
we already have an infrastructure for automated testing,
and the tests you propose should be added there.

Andreas Dedner schrieb:
> Hi,
> some of the recent changes to the build system
> are quite fundamental and therefore
> a) difficult to test
> b) rather devastating for users not accustomed to
>    the ''guts'' of the build system.
> We were therefore discussing possibilities of
> increasing the success rate of checkins through
> testing patches on different installations of libtool,
> g++ Version etc.
> We have a quite complex nightly build for dune-fem
> using tar balls from the svn head and testing with
> all kinds of
> grids and similar things. It would not be very
> difficult to add new changes to the repository, e..g,
> the build system after checkout. This would only
> require a patch. This can be easily done by
> sending us a file "patchfile" generated using
>   svn diff > patchfile
> as an email.
> So our suggestion would be: before a major change to the
> build system is committed, the patch could be send to us
> and we add it to our nightly build. The next day
> we know if everything worked out and can either commit
> the patch ourself our give an ok for the patch to be
> commit. If something went wrong we can try to figure
> out what the problem was and make a suggestion for
> correcting the problem, which should at least then
> work on our system and others can then try it out on
> there installation.
> Martin would be willing to perform this task on our side!
> And before I forget:
> 1) we would all like to thank Christian for the huge
> amount of work he is investing into the build systen;
> we appreciate how difficult it is and also how
> difficult these change are to test throughly.
> 2) if somebody else would also like to test a patch
> he should just yell. All one has to do is
> run the command
>   patch -p0 < patchfile
>
> Best regards
> the Freiburg team.
>
> PS: tonight we got the following message:
> cd . && ./bin/dunecontrol --only=dune-common m4create
> writing dependencies.m4
>     for dune-common 1.2svn dune at dune-project.org
> { test ! -d dune-common-1.2svn || { find dune-common-1.2svn
> -type d ! -perm -200 -exec chmod u+w {} ';' && rm -fr
> dune-common-1.2svn; }; }
> test -d dune-common-1.2svn || mkdir dune-common-1.2svn
> cp: cannot stat `./dune-common.m4': No such file or
> directory

* Oliver Sander                ** email: sander at mi.fu-berlin.de        *
* Freie Universität Berlin     ** phone: + 49 (30) 838 75217           *
* Institut für Mathematik II   ** URL  : page.mi.fu-berlin.de/~sander  *
* 14195 Berlin, Germany        ** Member of MATHEON (www.matheon.de)   *