[Dune] AMG and performance

Arne Rekdal arne at stud.ntnu.no
Thu Apr 30 10:26:49 CEST 2009

Hello,

I have attached some timing results of the SAMG and
Dune::CGSolver<Dune::AMG>. I turned on the verbose switch in SAMG, and
I now see that the number of cycles seems to be constant wrt. the
problem size, while number of iterations in CG increase with the
problem size.

The timings is performed on an AMD Opteron 2216 with 32 GB memory.

Siterer Markus Blatt <Markus.Blatt at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de>:
> This information is a little bit too sparse. What is S (scalar or system,
> 2D/3D, problem type etc.)

S is a matrix coming from a 3D Mixed-Hybrid Element formulation of an
anisotropic Poisson problem. S is the result of performing two
Schur-complement reductions of the original system. The unknowns in
the transformed system (Sr=b), is the pressure on the element's faces.

> So you probably have to choose, what you need more: less memory usage
> or faster computation. One cannot get the best of both worlds.

Since I have a more memory available, are there anything I can do to
shorten the computation time? I don't want to use the SAMG solver :)

Best regards
Arne Rekdal