[Dune] Dune and CMake

Christian Engwer christi at uni-hd.de
Mon Dec 7 19:41:37 CET 2009

Hi Bernd,

> for our Dune module Dumux, we alternatively can use CMake
> as build system (thanks to Andreas Lauser). Meanwhile,
> some of us, including me, pretty much like using it.
>
> We are definitely interested and might even have some
> capabilities to also add this possibility to the Dune
> core. This means to add some Makefile.am-like text files.
> The question is whether you would be interested in having
> that alternative, and whether it might even have a chance
> to be included into Dune by means of applying our patches
> from time to time.

I don't tink we must stick with the autotools, but a replacement will
have to provide all the current features. I don't know anything about
cmake. Perhaps you could tell a little bit more about what is working
and waht not. How much work it would be to port the current
buildsystem and so on. WOuld it perhaps solve some of the current -
hard to fix - buildsystem issues?

I'm not against changing it, but I don't want a half working
replacement.