[Dune] [#563] GenericReferenceElement<double, 5> does not work at all (Attachment added)

Martin Nolte nolte at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de
Tue Jun 16 16:48:15 CEST 2009

Hi Sven, hi Oliver, hi all,

it was not my intention to blame anyone, here. I was just under the impression
that people generally think that the generic geometry stuff is the major
source of errors turning up during this transition. It is true that this code
is very new and may still contain a lot of bugs. But this should not be an
excuse for writing a bug report without double checking.

I just raise this point, because I always try to react as promptly as possible
to the error reports. In the last days, there were two such reports that were
plain wrong. The source of the YaspGrid 4d problem as well as the bug report
we are talking about were not due to a wrong generic implementation. In the
first case, the old numbering was simply not known (and Peter promised last
year in Berlin that he would document this numbering -- no offense meant), and
in the second case, the error was the enormous size of the old reference
element. Since I considered them to be my mistakes, I tried my best to fix
this as soon as possible -- what a waste of time.

So, let me apologize if I hurt anyone's feelings with my comment. I just
wanted to point out that hese things will definitely make me react much slower
to such bug reports...

Yours,

Martin