[Dune] New subentity numbering

Andreas Dedner dedner at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de
Fri May 8 16:18:52 CEST 2009

>> Is it really impossible to rewrite the generic geometry stuff in a way
>> that it preserves the old numbering, at least for simplices and cubes?
Tell us how - although we will not do it. Your few days work was
about a few months work on our side!
And we never had 4D simplicies before. There was never any information
what so ever on how subentities of subentities are numbered - so talk
about complete documentation!

>> The cubes were generated generically before, so this should still be
>> possible.  And I don't see any reason why it should not be possible
>> for the simplices.
We have asked (more than once) for a documentation of the generic cubes
- with no results - so we made are own, which are consistent with the
way all the other geometries are built, so it is in fact rather easy to
understand

>> Not a single word about the differences, nor about which is the old
>> and which is the new method, and that it is dangerous to mix the use
>> of old and new methods.  Furthermore, 95 % of the code in
>> grid/genericgeometry is without any documentation (not even
>> comments!).  Even parts of the code that are meant to be directly used
>> by DUNE users are lacking any documentation (for example
>> GenericReferenceElements).  And finally, the transition page itself is
>> all but complete (for example, no word about the orientation changes
>> of subentities).
A comment on where documentation is missing would be more helpful than a
remark that it is missing. As soon as we got concrete suggestions of
where documentation should be added, it never took long for us to write
it.

>> To be clear about this:  I really like that we have generic geometries
>> now -- they facilitate new grid implementations and reduce code
>> duplication.  But I can't see any advantages of the new numbering, and
>> I would like to have documentation for the generic geometry code.

We want work on anything new with respect to generic geometries. So if
the general feeling is to go back to the old things, we can put that to
a vote or else somebody should say that he is willing to spend a few
months on writing new generic geometries and I wish him the best.

Andreas