[Dune] New subentity numbering

Peter Bastian peter.bastian at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri May 8 16:36:36 CEST 2009

Hi All,

please let us not (immediately :-) ) get into a discussion about tone
and who did what and what not. Yes, I admit that I did not provide the
generic cube algorithm. I also admit that I forget to write
documentation frequently (that is for the (i,c,ii,cc) stuff).

My impression is that the mail of Sven was meant in a constructive way.
And that is how we discussed it yesterday. We (i) have to tell "the
user" why there is a new numbering (So you say: We need it to have n-D
simplices and it was too complicated to make it agree with the old one
for d<4), (ii) we have to give good documentation how to port user code,
else we will have to answer a lot of questions on the mailing list. So
it has to be done anyway.

@Andreas: Everybody agrees that generic geometries are a very good thing
to have. The discussion is only about whether it would be possible to
have a generic numbering algorithm that coincides with the old one. I
know that you have tried, thus it would be on others to spend some time
thinking on it.

Peter