[Dune] Topic for next Dune Developer Meeting ?!?

Oswald Benedikt Benedikt.Oswald at psi.ch
Fri Oct 2 15:14:05 CEST 2009

Dear Dune Developers,

some of you may remember that at the last Dune Developer Meeting in Heidelberg, December 2008,
I presented our project H5Fed (h5.psi.ch), which is an open source library (on top of HDF5) that can store and retrieve
hierarchically refined tetrahedral meshes. The project has progressed well during the last year
and now we have reached a first milestone.:

The implemend features of H5Fed, as of today are:

1. READ & WRITE: serial write and read hierarchically refined, tetrahedral meshes, including hanging nodes,
    so that a tet can be refined without having to refine its neighbour

2. ADJACENCY: serial retrieval of all possible adjacencies, both upwards and downwards:

    upwards adhacencies:  e.g. I am a vertex: to which edges, faces, tets do I belong ?
                                                     I am am an edge: to which faces, tets do I belong ?
                                                     I am a face: to which tets do I belong ?

    downward adjacencies: tet -> faces, edges, vertices
                                              face -> edge, vertex
                                              edge -> vertex

3. DATA ASSOCIATED WITH TOPOLOGICAL ENTITIES:
    serial storage of data (tags) associated with all types of topological entities (vertices, edges, faces, tets)
     in a non-uniform way, meaning that we can e.g. attach data to some edges but do not need
     to attach to all

     Nota bene: tags are currently tested, we expect them to be operational during October

The original idea to do H5Fed was to have a neutral, independent file format for storing
finite element meshes and related data for our own different solvers. During the course of the project,
we realized that it could potentially be useful for other parties as well.

In particular, we plan the follwing next steps:

1. parallelization, which will start in november
2. connect it to Dune as a grid manager, simultaneously with parallelization

My question / suggestion is therefore to discuss this at the next Dune Developer Meeting
since we are eager for outside suggestions, questions etc ?

Also, w.r.t. parallelization and the Dune link we would like to gather ideas on how to realize this best.

What do you think ? Have a look at the H5Fed website: h5.psi.ch to get an inspiration.

Have a great day, Benedikt

Benedikt Oswald, Dr. sc. techn., dipl. El. Ing. ETH, www.psi.ch, Computational Accelerator Scientist
Paul Scherrer  Institute (PSI), CH-5232 Villigen, Suisse, benedikt.oswald at psi.ch, +41(0)56 310 32 12
"Passion is required for any great work, and for the Revolution passion and audacity are required in big doses.",
Ernesto 'Che' Guevara, Letter to his parents.
http://maxwell.psi.ch/amaswiki/index.php/User:BenediktOswald