[Dune] Gmsh reader crashes when using the grid factory read for ALUSimpleGRid<3, 3> with boundary id Attached to Project: Dune

Oswald Benedikt Benedikt.Oswald at psi.ch
Wed Oct 14 12:07:14 CEST 2009

Hi Again, thanks for the feeback!

Yes, we definitely need boundary id's, since boundary conditions in electromagnetics are very critical
(as they certainly are in other fields of physics as well) and may vary over the boundary considerably.

For example, we will very soon have a postdoc here who will even need fictitious boundaries, i.e. internal boundaries
that are used for evaluating electric and magnetic currents, that are then used for evaluating Green's
functions on the real boundary, the subject is discontinuous Galerkin methods combined with
boundary integrals in order to achieve an accurate absorbing boundary conditions that can be
placed very close to radiating structures, the application is in nano-optics.

I do not know how to do this in DUNE at the moment, but I think other fields may need this as well.

BUT, at the moment, boundary id's on the outside boundary would already be very useful.

As far as I can see from the gmshreader docu, it does support boundary id's.
Peter Implented them in July or so.

Therefore, if you could reconsider implementing them, this would be appreciated very much!

Have a great day, Benedikt

Benedikt Oswald, Dr. sc. techn., dipl. El. Ing. ETH, www.psi.ch, Computational Accelerator Scientist
Paul Scherrer  Institute (PSI), CH-5232 Villigen, Suisse, benedikt.oswald at psi.ch, +41(0)56 310 32 12
"Passion is required for any great work, and for the Revolution passion and audacity are required in big doses.",
Ernesto 'Che' Guevara, Letter to his parents.
http://maxwell.psi.ch/amaswiki/index.php/User:BenediktOswald