[Dune] Fwd: Dune and license issues

Christian Engwer christi at uni-hd.de
Fri Apr 23 14:22:55 CEST 2010

Dear Attgeir,

I think you misinterpreted the license in some points.

> > However, it is quite clear that GPL v3 is incompatible with GPL
> v2, under which Dune is released. See for example
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#AllCompatibility for a
> compatibility matrix. Downstream users are therefore not permitted
> to combine Dune and dune-cornerpoint!

Dune is not published under GPLv2, but GPv2 + exception. This
exception makes the Dune license something which is similar to LGPL,
except that it works with templates.

Thus you should look at the LGPL compatibility and there everything is
fine.

> > However, the exception clause seems to (I am no lawyer...) allow this, as long as we do not modify Dune (which we used to do, but no longer). So there may not really be a big problem. However, having various different licenses and complicated interactions between them is not optimal.

Never the less we could dicuss the benefits/drawbacks of a change to
v3. I don't know the details of such a transition and I assume none of
the other core developers know. Thus we didn't look into this problem
up to now.

Perhaps someone more familiar with the changes in the GPL might give
some details.

Anyhow such a change will not made for Dune 2.0.

Happy discussione ;-)