[Dune] dune m4 tests

Carsten Gräser graeser at math.fu-berlin.de
Thu Aug 26 12:10:21 CEST 2010

Dear Dune,
we just encountered a problem with the new boost test in dune-common
related to the fact that we have our own copy of the AX_BOOST_BASE
test from the autoconf archive. In this context several general
questions/problems arise:

1) Which test is used if it is defined twice (in m4-files with
   possibly different names)?
2) Does the dune-istl test called from our module use the dune-common
   version of the boost test?
3) Does our own call to the test use our version of the boost test?
4) Which version is used if you have installed some autoconf-archive package?

We assume that in this situation the "correct"/expected test is not
always used. This leads to:

5) Is it possible to warn for multiple definitions of tests?

Even if the "correct" version is used in all above cases further
problems will occure:

6) Will dune-istl work if we (successfully) test for an older boost
   version then the one required in dune-istl?
7) Currently the dune packages conflict we the autoconf-archive package
   due to the copies of tests.

One possible clean solution to avoid all these problems is attach
a dune prefix to each test and result (automake variables and defines)
in the dune core modules.

Perhaps some one of the autotools adepts can comment on this.

Regards
Carsten

Carsten Gräser           | phone: +49-30 / 838-75349
Freie Universität Berlin | fax  : +49-30 / 838-54977
Institut für Mathematik  | email: graeser at math.fu-berlin.de
Arnimallee 6             |
14195 Berlin, Germany    | URL  : http://page.mi.fu-berlin.de/graeser