[Dune] dune m4 tests

Oliver Sander sander at mi.fu-berlin.de
Fri Aug 27 11:39:07 CEST 2010

Hi all!

>>> 7) Currently the dune packages conflict we the autoconf-archive package
>>>     due to the copies of tests.
>>>
>> Do they? Not on my system. I can imagine that there are conflicts if you have copied
>> ax_boost_base to your module's m4-directory.
>>
> I didn't try this. Oliver said that the packages have a conflict.

The problem is the following: dune-common installs m4 files with the
same names as m4 files contained in the autoconf-archive into the
very same location (/usr/share/aclocal).  Some of the files are verbatim
copies, other have small modifications.  Now image you have the
autoconf archive or some of its tests globally installed on your system,
and you want to install dune-common.  If you are lucky you are
using a smart package manager, which will stop you because you are
overwriting system files.  If you install dune-common globally with just
'make install', the m4 files from the original autoconf archive are tacitly
overwritten.

This is FlySpray # 813

best,