[Dune] Dune and CMake

Christian Engwer christi at uni-hd.de
Mon Feb 15 19:53:17 CET 2010

> > I have been wanting to ask the following concerning cmake
> > for quite a while.  My question goes both the people in Stuttgart
> > and to the maintainers of the Dune build system.  Is it possible
> > _without being very invasive_, to extend the duneproject script
> > to create on demand either an AutoTools build system or a
> > cmake build system in the new module?  I know this would involve
> > modifying dunecontrol so as to also build Dune modules
> > with a cmake build system.

dunecontrol does not need to be modified. The default for autogen and
configure can't be used, the module can overwrite the current code.

On the other hand it requires quite some work by the cmake guys.

> >  To make things easier one could
> > say that cmake modules cannot be depended upon.
> > I think it would be interesting to have such a mechanism
> > (again, I stress: if it is not too invasive), because it would give
> > the users more choice and allow us to try out cmake and
> > evaluate it.

If you drop the "depend on" feature, we don't have to evaluate
cmake. The tricky stuff are the dependencies and that all modules can
contribute new features, to allow the different build-mode (in-source,
out-of-source, installed, etc.) and so on.

For duneproject I would suggest, someone writes a duneproject.cmake
script. I don't think it is very clever to try to mere all this into
one single file.