[Dune] Boost and autoconf

Carsten Gräser graeser at math.fu-berlin.de
Thu Jan 14 22:58:29 CET 2010

Hi Bernd,

Bernd Flemisch schrieb:
> I use OpenSuse 11.2. I run into the same error message,
> when I try to build the dune-cornerpoint module. Enhancing
> my CONFIGURE_FLAGS with --with-boost-libdir=/usr/lib64
I already knew that providing the path avoids this problem.

> helps. I remember that I also tried to alter the m4 file
> to produce a more meaningful error message, but I failed
> miserably. Anyway, if you want, I can run it on my system.
Since I don't really know m4 and I'm also not aware where the
problem originates I did not try this yet. The newest version
of the ax_boost_base macro from

http://www.nongnu.org/autoconf-archive/ax_boost_base.html

contains a patch that is said to fix a 'problem with lib
dir for 64Bit systems' However, it's not clear if this problem
is meant, especially since it did not appear on our 64bit debian systems.

Our student reported that with this version dunecontrol freezes
just after '-->  automake...' whitout any error message - which
sounds even more strange. Perhaps you could also give this version
a try and report your results.

Thanks in advance
Carsten

> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 21:05:22 +0100
>   Carsten Gräser <graeser at math.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> Even with the test available, just saying "does not work
>>> on system x,
>>> any idears?" is not enough information for getting any
>>> hints.
>> OK, 'does not work means' the configure script aborts
>> with
>>
>> 	Could not link against -lGL !
>>
>> This seems to be OpenGl related, but '-lGL' is just the
>> content
>> of the ax_lib variable that remains from the much
>> earlier OpenGL test.
>> The boost test does in general also uses this variable
>> but in this
>> case it is not reset.
>>
>>> BTW: I fear (read: hope) nobody of the core developer is
>>> working with
>>> SuSE
>> Perhaps it would help if some has a working autoconf
>> tests for
>> boost libraries (that is not the one from nongnu).
>>
>> I could also send the tests and the corresponding part
>> of the
>> configure script (~700 lines) but I'm afraid this will
>> not
>> help without the possibility to test on Suse.
>>
>> Best Regards
>> Carsten

Carsten Gräser           | phone: +49-30 / 838-75349
Freie Universität Berlin | fax  : +49-30 / 838-54977
Institut für Mathematik  | email: graeser at math.fu-berlin.de
Arnimallee 6             |
14195 Berlin, Germany    | URL  : http://page.mi.fu-berlin.de/graeser