[Dune] ALUSimplexGrid<3, 3>::loadBalance(DataHandle&) appears to expect something else than a DataHandle

Jö Fahlke jorrit at jorrit.de
Sat Nov 20 23:25:49 CET 2010

[ OK, our university appears to have fixed their mailservers for now ]

Am Sat, 20. Nov 2010, 13:34:45 +0100 schrieb Andreas Dedner:
> What do you mean with "most unsettling"? Codim zero is better than
> nothing...

I feared at the time of writing the mail that this would make it impossible to
communicate codim 1 data.  Of course, that fear was groundless.

> But there is in fact a way you can use a standard DataHandle class
> for the communiation -
> which should of course be documented:
>
> You have to derive from DataHandleIF and before you call loadBalance
> you have to
> cast your class into the base class.  ALUGrid has a method
>     template< class DataHandleImpl, class Data >
>     bool loadBalance ( CommDataHandleIF< DataHandleImpl, Data >
> &dataHandle );
> which is then used. The data handle implementation is wrapped so
> that it satisfies the
> requirements from ALU, e.g., it communicates data on lower
> codimension together
> with the data from codim zero and has an empty compress method.
>
> I guess we should have the method
>     template< class DataHandleImpl, class Data >
>     bool loadBalance ( CommDataHandleIF< DataHandleImpl, Data >
> &dataHandle );
> on the Grid class itself and make sure it is called whenever the
> dataHandle is derived from
> the interface.

I tried to prepare a patch to do just that, but had to realize that this is
not possible in general without modifying the interface of CommDataHandleIF.

Thanks for the help,
Jö.

--
<Ku]aku> seen _Armus_
-:- SignOff Ku]aku: #macht (changing servers)