[Dune] How fast is Dune? Benchmark data anyone?

Christoph GrĂ¼ninger foss at grueninger.de
Sat Nov 27 15:52:00 CET 2010

Dear Dune developers and users,
a common argument against Dune by people not using Dune is the
suspicion that it is slow. It is considered to not be true, but
has anyone ever measured a real complex simulation and got
benchmark data? I asked already some participants on the Dune
user Meeting 2010 in Stuttgart but nobody knew numbers.

- So are there data from runs on supercomputers and the reached
percentage of the theoretical peak performance?
- Are there users who ported their old simulations to Dune and
where able to compare the same methods with different codes?
- Where there any benchmark problems to compare the results
speed-wise with results from groups with other codes?

If there are some performance proofs out there we should collect
them in the wiki.

Yours sincerely,
Christoph