[Dune] Question about the GenericReferenceElements

Martin Nolte nolte at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de
Fri Oct 22 20:23:31 CEST 2010

Hi Oliver,

when implementing the generic reference element, I implemented all methods of
the original ReferenceElement class. Especially, this included the method

global ( const FieldVector< ctype, dim-codim > &local, int i, int c ) const.

When I saw the redundancy, I simply added another method, dropping the redundant
argument (for convenience).

Back then, I somehow assumed that the interface for the ReferenceElement has
been thoroughly discussed. Over time, this impression has changed. Since the old
ReferenceElement is now gone, I would be very happy to discuss what methods
should be present on the GenericReferenceElement. In particular, I would very
much like to get rid of the (i,c,ii,cc) methods. In my mind it is (c,i,cc,ii)
and, since the types don't differ, I frequently get weird errors from this.

I would very much appreciate, if an "interface" for the reference element could
be discussed on the developer meeting in Münster.

Best,

Martin