[Dune] Boost Dependency on DUNE

Jayesh Badwaik jayesh.badwaik90 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 17:16:52 CEST 2011

Hi,

I am developing a module for some work and I have come to the conclusion
that a boost:ublas library would be really helpful
for my work. Especially, the Matrix
Library<http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_47_0/libs/numeric/ublas/doc/matrix_expression.htm#matrix_vector_operations>.
However, as I have gathered from the discussion, boost is not preferred as a
dependency in
DUNE core modules. And hence I am curious as to what are the reasons for it?
Are there any specific reasons?

By the way, the main reason I am eager to use this library is because it
allows me to set the size of the matrix at run-time. I need
the run-time size determination feature. But once I have decided the size,
there is no need to resize the matrix. I understand that
the Dune::FieldMatrix needs size at the compile-time itself. Is there some
other feature in DUNE which would satisfy my requirement?
I really like the operator based operations for multiply a Matrix by a
Vector in Dune (operator*) which is instead replaced by a prod(Matrix,
Vector) function in
the boost library and similar such things. Hence, I was keen on using
FieldMatrix or other alternative like it.

Cheers and Regards
Jayesh Vinay Badwaik
Electronics and Communication Engineering
VNIT, Nagpur
INDIA