[Dune] DUNE Virtual Machine

Bernd Flemisch bernd at iws.uni-stuttgart.de
Fri Dec 2 10:32:56 CET 2011

Dear DUNE,

I created a Virtual Machine (VM) containing DUNE 2.1. You can download
it from
http://dumux.org/tcl_dune.ova

In order to be able to use it, you have to have a software that can
handle ova-files. For example, Oracle's VirtualBox, www.virtualbox.org,
which is available for all major operating systems and Windows. There,
you click "File -> Import Appliance..." to set up the VM. Double-click
on the icon will start it. Opening a terminal will set you up within a
directory where the DUNE modules are stored. The grid-howto is already
fully built.

In order to keep it as minimal as possible, I set it up on Tiny Core
Linux, which, to me, appears to be the currently most reasonable
lightweight Linux distribution, tinycorelinux.com. The initial size of
the VM was around 40MB, after inclusion of everything that is necessary,
it now has 182MB, including the grid-howto binaries. VMs based on
standard Linux distros tend to have more than 1GB.

I see a great potential in using VMs. For teaching, every student can
bring his own laptop with his favorite OS, just needs to obtain one
single file (ok, maybe plus the VirtualBox), and the whole course can
work within exactly the same environment. Usually, you are not able to
achieve this even inside a single CIP pool. And at home, for the student
everything will still work as before. Also for research, storing your
system as VM will enable you to exactly reproduce your results in 10
years from now on (assuming that some software handling ova-Files still
exists then).

If you like it, please feel free to host the VM on the DUNE website. If
you really like it, I also volunteer to come up with some sort of
maximal DUNE VM including svn, automake, MPI, SuperLU, ALUGrid and so on.

Kind regards
Bernd

P.S.: In case you are interested, here are the steps to get DUNE onto
Tiny Core Linux (TCL):

1. Install TCL on your (virtual) HDD or USB stick following
http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/install.html.

2. Install the following packages (TCEs) via the AppBrowser (available
as an icon on the desktop): gcc, compiletc, gfortran.

3. If you are using a non-US keyboard, also install the kmaps TCE, and
add your desired keymap to /opt/bootlocal.sh, e.g. for German:
loadkmap < /usr/share/kmap/qwerty/de-latin1.kmap
Reboot.

4. Obtain the DUNE tarballs. There is no browser (you can of course
install one, but even Midori uses 40MB on the VM by having to install
several other packages), but there is wget:
wget http://www.dune-project.org/download/2.1/dune-common-2.1.0.tar.gz
and so on.

5. Create a file tcl.opts containing
CONFIGURE_FLAGS=" \
   CXXCPP=/usr/local/bin/cpp \
   FC='gfortran -fno-use-linker-plugin' "

6. Run
./dune-common-2.1.0/bin/dunecontrol --opts=tcl.opts all

7. Cross your fingers.

Bernd Flemisch                               phone: +49 711 685 69162
IWS, Universität Stuttgart                   fax:   +49 711 685 60430
Pfaffenwaldring 61                  email: bernd at iws.uni-stuttgart.de
D-70569 Stuttgart                  url: www.hydrosys.uni-stuttgart.de