[Dune] GmshReader with ALUGrid

Jö Fahlke jorrit at jorrit.de
Wed Feb 9 15:27:18 CET 2011

Am Wed,  9. Feb 2011, 13:46:00 +0100 schrieb Florian Vogelbacher:
> I'm currently working on an implementation with the GmshReader. Calling
> the read() function like
>
> /** Read the grid using the GmshReader */
> const std::string filename = "spherical-capacitor.msh";
> Dune::GridPtr<Grid> alusimplexgrid = GmshReader<Grid>::read(filename);
>
> will lead to the following output when calling the programm:
>
> Reading 3d Gmsh grid...
> version 2.000000 Gmsh file detected
> file contains 1709 nodes
> file contains 9423 elements
> number of real vertices = 1709
> number of boundary elements = 1560
> number of elements = 7863
> Created parallel ALUSimplexGrid<3,3> from macro grid file ''.
> [thymian:31226] *** Process received signal ***
> [thymian:31226] Signal: Segmentation fault (11)
> [thymian:31226] Signal code: Address not mapped (1)
>
> It seems like GmshReader is aber to open and process the file, but
> ALUSimplexGrid does not get a file name any more to go on and thus
> throws a SegFault. Any hints for me to search and tackle the error?

The message with the empty filename from ALUGrid is normal when using the
GmshReader.  The messages

| file contains 1709 nodes
| file contains 9423 elements

mean that pass 1 of read() did complete, and

| number of real vertices = 1709
| number of boundary elements = 1560
| number of elements = 7863

means that pass 2 of read() did complete.

| Created parallel ALUSimplexGrid<3,3> from macro grid file ''.

is emitted by the body of the ALUGrid constructor, i.e. *after* the Grid has
been created, I believe.  So everything looks to be in order up to the
segfault.

In dune-grid/utils/gridinfo-gmsh there should be a program
dune-gridinfo-gmsh-alusimplex-3d, can you run that with your .msh as
parameter?  It should display some statistics for the entities of different
dimensions in your mesh.  Not the you may need to call

  cd dune-grid/utils/gridinfo-gmsh && make dune-gridinfo-gmsh-alusimplex-3d

first to compile the program, or if that does not work you may need to
reconfigure dune-grid with --enable-extra-utils.

Can you please report back with the results?

Bye,
Jö.

--
There's no evolution in the US.  It's not allowed.