[Dune] Release branches for the upcoming 2.1 release created

Oliver Sander sander at mi.fu-berlin.de
Thu Feb 17 15:04:46 CET 2011

Hi Martin!
That's for historical reasons.  For the very first release all core
developers had write access.  What happened was that people
kept committing feature additions to the release branch.  Each
time, testing had to restart and the whole release process took
a very long time.  To prevent that from happening again, it
was decided that from then on only a very limited number of
people should have write access on release branches.

Of course the disadvantages you name are real.  We can try
to assume that everybody has grown more mature over the
last years and try again with write access for all core devs.

best,
Oliver