[Dune] Writing and reloading an alugrid with data attached

Jö Fahlke jorrit at jorrit.de
Fri Feb 18 16:54:36 CET 2011

Hi!

I want to use a mesh generated with gmsh for a parallel computation with
ALUSimplex<3,3>.  I can read the mesh on the root process and then ditribute
it to all other processes using loadbalance.  I also have to distribute some
data attached to the grid elements (gmsh's physical volume numbers).

The problem I face is that the root process still needs enough memory for the
whole grid.  In my case this is around 15G, while all other ranks use only 2G.
Moreother, the root process will not free the used memory after the
loadbalance.

Robert told me a way around this: use a computer with enough RAM, read the
grid, loadbalance, and write the grid back in ALUGrid format using the
appropriate member function of the grid.  The produced file (or files?) can
then be read in parallel using the DGF-Parser, and each rank will use only as
much memory as necessary.

My problem is that I have data attached to the elements.  So I wonder what
guarantees do I have when writing and reloading an alugrid:

* Do elements written by rank i end up on rank i again when re-read?

* Do the globalIds stay the same?  Or the localIds?  Or maybe even the
  indices?

Some insight would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Jö.

--
This message is protected by DoubleROT13 encryption
Attempting to decode it violates the DMCA/WIPO acts