[Dune] Writing and reloading an alugrid with data attached

Robert Kloefkorn robertk at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de
Fri Feb 18 17:57:52 CET 2011

Hi Jö,

we are talking about to different things here.

First, ALUGrid can read distributed macro grid files, but up to now they
have to be in ALUGrid format. This means no data can be attached.
However, element numbers (localId and most probably leafIndex) will be
as they occur in the macro grid file, meaning first element =0, ...

When writing a checkpoint the grid is actually restored such that
indices and so on should be the same. We wrote this down at the last
meeting.

The way I suggest is to go to your big machine with shared memory read
the grid and distribute to whatever proc number you like.
The proc numbers can be smaller than the number you want to use later.
The write the checkpoint, I think writeGrid is the method on ALUGrid,
and readGrid to read again.

Martin and I, we wanted to implement the BackupRestoreFactory Interface
to have it already in the release. Maybe you wait some days.
In any case the loadBalancing of your data and the backup/restore of
these have to be done by yourself.

  Dr. Robert Klöfkorn           <robertk at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de>

  Mathematisches Institut              Tel: +49 (0) 761 203 5631
  Abt. für Angewandte Mathematik       Fax: +49 (0) 761 203 5632
  Universität Freiburg
  Hermann-Herder-Str. 10
  79104 Freiburg

  http://www.mathematik.uni-freiburg.de/IAM/homepages/robertk