[Dune] [Dune-Commit] dune-localfunctions r943 - trunk/dune/localfunctions/test

Christian Engwer christi at uni-hd.de
Sun Jan 2 15:18:40 CET 2011

Dear all,

> In order to avoid the MockGeometry, we could slightly change the interface and
> replace GridImp by ctype and make the getRealImp method public.
> In my opinion, dimension and dimensionworld are not really necessary; only
> mydimension and coorddimension are needed for the interface.
>
> If we decide in favor of such a change (which will have to be voted on), we will
> be forced to make the template argument GeometryImp a non-template. Otherwise,
> the implementer cannot pass additional, grid-specific information to the
> geometry implementation. The new declaration would look as follows:
>
> template< int mydim, int cdim, class ctype, class GeometryImp >
> class Geometry;
>
> Since we decided to move such geometry-specific stuff into a new module,
> dune-geometry, a positive side effect is that the interface class Geometry could
> then reside in dune-geometry instead of dune-grid. Of course, the latter change
> will happen after the 2.0 release.
>
> What are the opinions of the other developers?

an other option would be renaming. Acutally the new MockGeometry
isn't mocking anything. Thus I don't like the name. We might consider
moving the grid interface classes into a namespace and then name
MockGeometry Geometry. In any case, we should change the
implementation of the grid-Geometry such that it uses as much
functionality of MockGeometry as possible.

But for the long term I agree with Martin. We should change the
interface when moving the stuff to a new module. Nevertheless I think
we should also move the interfaces to a seperate namespace to avoid
similar problem with other classes, e.g. indexset or mapper.