[Dune] Field Vector with K = std::complex<double> ?

Benedikt Oswald benedikt.oswald at psi.ch
Wed Jan 12 12:03:33 CET 2011

Hello

currently doing some tests with FieldVectors employing the std::complex<double> type,
it appears that I can not assign a real valued vector to a complex value one;

the error message is something like:  can not assign vector to non-scalar.

Of course, doing it element wise works fine.

But would there be a more elegant way of doing this ?

Thanks, Benedikt

On Jan 11, 2011, at 3:57 PM, Andreas Dedner wrote:

> Hi.
> As a first step, it would be a good idea, if you could simply add a test to
> dune-common/dune/common/test/fvectortest.cc
> There is already some interface checks for FieldVector<complex> I think
> but some
> semantics checks would be a good idea and worth having.
> Best
> Andreas
>
> On 11/01/11 13:22, Markus Blatt wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 01:59:30PM +0100, Oliver Sander wrote:
>>
>>> If you really want to know what the code does then go and read it.
>>> It's just C++ after all.  I wouldn't do anything else at this point either.
>>>
>> it is not as easy as one might think. You have to know that the
>> interesting things happen in some TMP in dune/common/densevector.hh.
>>
>> After a glance at the code  it seems to do the right thing, here.
>>
>> But please keep in mind that the behaviour for non real types is not
>> well tested.
>> Actually I tried to make it work last autumn, but ran into troubles
>> because of inter-module dependancies with pdelab. At that time there
>> was now other resolution besides reverting my patches. We hope to
>> resolve these issues by March.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Markus

Benedikt Oswald, Dr. sc. techn., dipl. El. Ing. ETH, www.psi.ch, Computational Accelerator Scientist, http://amas.web.psi.ch
Paul Scherrer  Institute (PSI), CH-5232 Villigen, Suisse, benedikt.oswald at psi.ch, +41(0)56 310 32 12

"Passion is required for any great work, and for the revolution passion and audacity are required in big doses.",
 Ernesto 'Che' Guevara, Letter to his parents.