[Dune] Visualization of gauss point data

Nicolas Schwenck nicolas at schwenck.de
Tue Jul 19 18:52:00 CEST 2011

Dear Christian,

if I understood correctly you have a solution vector with the stresses
and you now want to interpolate the solution to the Gauss points.

As far as I know there is no direct possibility but you can use the
DiscreteGridFunction and the GridFunctionToFunctionAdapter to compute
your solution at any geometrical point.

If I understood it correctly this is only necessary if, e.g. you have a
nodal value solution and Q2 and your visualization tool only supports
linear interpolation otherwise you can just tell your visualization tool
which basis function to use.

If there is an easier way I am very interested in it, too!

Best,
Nicolas

On 07/19/2011 06:13 PM, Christian Simon wrote:
> Dear *,
>
> we successfully implemented a continuum mechanical model into
> dune-pdelab - thanks to Markus Blatt :o)
>
> Therein in, we compute the stress resulting from deformations. We
> would like to visualise the values computed at the Gauss points within
> the operator. It would be great, if this would be more or less
> directly possible. For one variable it may be ok to implement the
> computation of the variable once again somewhere else. For a more
> complicated situation, this may get somehow problematic, since it is
> not really convenient and fail-save to implement all the computed and
> required variables within the operator a second time some where else.
>
> Is there a solution for our problem? Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Best wishes for the evening,
> Christian Simon and Ayhan Acartürk

Dipl.-Ing. Nicolas Schwenck

IWS, Universität Stuttgart              phone: +49 711 685 64736
Pfaffenwaldring 61                      fax:   +49 711 685 60430
D-70569 Stuttgart

             email:nicolas.schwenck at iws.uni-stuttgart.de
                 url:www.hydrosys.uni-stuttgart.de