[Dune] Communicating IdSet elements

Martin Nolte nolte at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de
Sun Jul 24 16:31:27 CEST 2011

Hi Patrick, hi all,

to the best of my knowledge there is no guarantee an id can be communicated
using MPI. While for a local id this does not make a lot of sense,
communication of a global id is very desirable (read: otherwise I don't see
what they are good for). If I am not mistaken, some codes actually do
communicate global ids (e.g., the AMG solver from dune-istl). So maybe there
is already a solution to your problem.

Either way, I think we need to add two important properties a global id has to
satisfy:
1) there must be an easy way to communicate it
2) it needs to support (disk) I/O

Best,

Martin

--
Martin Nolte <nolte at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de>

Universität Freiburg                                   phone: +49-761-203-5630
Abteilung für angewandte Mathematik                    fax:   +49-761-203-5632
Hermann-Herder-Straße 10
79104 Freiburg, Germany