[Dune] Update of the official Homepage / dunedesign.png

Jö Fahlke jorrit at jorrit.de
Thu Jun 9 18:46:06 CEST 2011

Here is a proposal by Markus and me.  We tried to make it simple while still
showing the most essential features, i.e.

 * the features provided by the core, i.e. a basic selection of grids, as well
   as local functions and same linear algebra, represented by dune-grid,
   dune-localfunctions and dune-istl respektively,

 * that more grids can be provided by external modules,

 * that at least two discretization modules exist, naming them explicitly to
   endorse them,

 * that further external library modules can be written using the core
   modules, the discretization modules and possibly extra grid modules,

 * and finally that all of this can be used by applications.

We deliberately left some things out to unclutter the diagramm, namely

 * dune-common, since it is mostly a technical detail,

 * discretization modules beyond the two endorsed ones,

 * names of particular extra grid modules and for external library modules,
   there are simply too many and no particular reason to endorse any of them
   over the others,

 * names for applications.

Am Thu,  9. Jun 2011, 02:24:12 +0200 schrieb Christian Engwer:
> In general I prefer design over completeness. I prefer the simplicity
> of A and would also prefer to have the application visually separated,
> like in my original diagram. I might be less accurate (but this mainly
> depends on the interpretation), but looks more appealing.

I hope we uncluttered the diagram enough to appeal to your sense of simplicity
:)  Our diagram is also not really accurate in a technical sense but we hope
it catches the spirit.

Grüße,
Jö.

--
Cernlib: turns your plain old PC into a quantum computer.