[Dune] Discipline when committing to the release!

Martin Nolte nolte at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de
Wed Mar 16 16:57:59 CET 2011

Dear all,

when we asked to grant commit rights for the release branch to all core
developers, we thought that certain rules would be self-evident. The most
important one is:

"Only backport commits from the trunk."

If we start committing stuff into the release, it might be lost afterwards.
Another (self-evident) rule is:

"No new features are committed to the release without previous discussion with
the release managers."

Please maintain discipline. Managing releases and branches is a non-trivial
task and we should be extra careful. If you can't manage this discipline, just
don't commit to the release!

Best,

Martin

PS: This is not intended to offend anybody.

--
Martin Nolte <nolte at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de>

Universität Freiburg                                   phone: +49-761-203-5630
Abteilung für angewandte Mathematik                    fax:   +49-761-203-5632
Hermann-Herder-Straße 10
79104 Freiburg, Germany