[Dune] ALUGrid for tetrahedral simplices with periodic boundaries ?

Benedikt Oswald benedikt.oswald at psi.ch
Tue May 17 12:17:57 CEST 2011

Hi Robert,

thanks for the quick answer.

This is very encouraging news indeed!

I will do as suggested and report on experiences with the feature
as soon as possible.

I do think that this is interesting for other users as well.

Have a good day! Benedikt

On May 17, 2011, at 12:15 PM, Robert Kloefkorn wrote:

> Hello Benedikt,
>
>> I would like to implement periodic boundaries for an electromagnetic
>> algorithm,using the ALUGrid tetrahedral simplex grid.
>
>> In particular, since I need to couple degrees of freedom between
>> master-slave boundaries I would like to know if
>> this is operational in ALUGrid and/or its embedding inside Dune ?
>
> this should be implemented and fully functional in DUNE and ALUGrid
> 1.23, also in parallel. I didn't test this in a production run since I
> didn't have a good example ready. So I wouldn't be surprised if some
> problems occur.
>
> So to start you should implement your scheme as usually. On
> intersections with periodic boundary you get as the neighbor the element
> on the "other" side of the boundary. What you do with it is up to you.
> That is the current interface status concerning periodic boundaries in
> DUNE. If the whole thing runs in serial one can advance to parallel.
>
> Best regards
>
> Robert
>
> --
>
>  Dr. Robert Klöfkorn         <robertk at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de>
>
>  Mathematisches Institut              Tel: +49 (0) 761 203 5630
>  Abt. für Angewandte Mathematik       Fax: +49 (0) 761 203 5632
>  Universität Freiburg
>  Hermann-Herder-Str. 10
>  79104 Freiburg
>
>  http://www.mathematik.uni-freiburg.de/IAM/homepages/robertk

Benedikt Oswald, Dr. sc. techn., dipl. El. Ing. ETH, www.psi.ch, Computational Accelerator Scientist, http://amas.web.psi.ch
Paul Scherrer  Institute (PSI), CH-5232 Villigen, Suisse, benedikt.oswald at psi.ch, +41(0)56 310 32 12

"Passion is required for any great work, and for the revolution passion and audacity are required in big doses.",
 Ernesto 'Che' Guevara, Letter to his parents.