[Dune] how to specify a periodic grid in DGF in 3D ?

Benedikt Oswald benedikt.oswald at psi.ch
Fri May 20 11:56:07 CEST 2011

Dear Dune,  I have generated a mesh of a hexahedron

with dimensions: lx = 200; ly = 300; lz = 400

with periodic boundaries in x,y and z direction, i.e. the boundary
surfaces in x, y and z directions consist of congruent triangles.

I am now confronted with the problem of telling ALUGrid<tetrahedral simplex>
that the mesh in the DGF file is indeed periodic so that ALUGrid can wrap around
the mesh.

In the documentation I have found instructions as:

PeriodicFaceTransformation
Each line describes an affine transformation that shall be used to glue grid boundaries together. The transformation is denoted as matrix + shift. The following 2d example describes a shift by the first unit vector:
  1 0, 0 1 + 1 0

Thus, I would write something like:

PeriodicFaceTransformation
1 0 0, 0 1 0, 0 0 1 + 200  0     0
1 0 0, 0 1 0, 0 0 1 + 0     300
1 0 0, 0 1 0, 0 0 1 + 0     0     400

to tell ALUGrid that I have periodicities:

200 in x direction
300 in y direction
400 in z direction

?

Thanks and have a great day! Benedikt

Benedikt Oswald, Dr. sc. techn., dipl. El. Ing. ETH, www.psi.ch, Computational Accelerator Scientist, http://amas.web.psi.ch
Paul Scherrer  Institute (PSI), CH-5232 Villigen, Suisse, benedikt.oswald at psi.ch, +41(0)56 310 32 12

"Passion is required for any great work, and for the revolution passion and audacity are required in big doses.",
 Ernesto 'Che' Guevara, Letter to his parents.