[Dune] Parallel grid partitioning

Jö Fahlke jorrit at jorrit.de
Wed Nov 16 16:10:24 CET 2011

Am Wed, 16. Nov 2011, 14:15:48 +0000 schrieb Eike Mueller:
> I finally got back to looking at this again. I now built dune-grid
> from the trunk, which contains the gmsh-to-alu utility you mention,
> when I configure with the --enable-extra-utils option it creates an
> executable called dune-gmsh-to-alusimplex-3d, am I right in assuming
> that this will only work for 3d tetrahedral grids (mine is a 3d
> hexahedral grid)? Or can I configure it to create a corresponding
> executable for other grids?

Have a look at the file dune-grid/src/gmsh-to-alu/alusimplex-3d.cc.  It
containes the two lines

  const std::string programName = "dune-gmsh-to-alusimplex-3d";
  typedef Dune::ALUSimplexGrid<3, 3> Grid;

All you have to do is to replace simplex by cube there[1].  I haven't tried
it, of course, so it may not work.  But if it does, please let us know, then
we can enable it by default.

> Also, is the alu grid format documented anywhere and how difficult
> would it be to generate the partitioned grid by hand and write it to
> the corresponding .alu grid files for each node? As eventually we
> will need to work with really big grid (10^10 vertices), creating
> the entire grid on a shared memory machine might not be an option.

I don't think there is documentation, but I may be wrong.  Martin?  Robert?

In any case, a tool to directly convert .msh to a set of .alu files would be
much apreciated.

Bye,
Jö.

[1] Of course, you can copy the file to alucube-3d.cc first and register the
    new file in the Makefile.am, if you want to be thourough and avoid
    confusion.

--
Jorrit (Jö) Fahlke, Interdisciplinary Center for Scientific Computing,
Heidelberg University, Im Neuenheimer Feld 368, D-69120 Heidelberg

Kiss a non-smoker; taste the difference.
-- fortune