[Dune] conflicting defines for SuperLU ?

Benedikt Oswald benedikt.oswald at psi.ch
Thu Nov 24 16:49:19 CET 2011

thanks all for the help, in fact, there might be some motivation to
write the documentation for the tests Oliver mentioned.

I am currently extending, based on Markus' work, the superlu.hh
stuff so that it can also work with complex numbers, but I fear
this will take a few days still.

Benedikt

On Nov 24, 2011, at 3:50 PM, Andreas Dedner wrote:

> If you want to avoid long lists of flags you can always use
> $(ALL_PKG_CPPFLAGS) which should include also the enable flag for superlu.
>
> Andreas
>
> On 24/11/11 14:02, Bård Skaflestad wrote:
>> On Thu, 2011-11-24 at 14:42 +0100, Benedikt Oswald wrote:
>>> Hello Dune, I just stumbled over the fact that when compiling Dune
>>> with
>>> SuperLU support, i.e. using something like --with-superlu=…
>>> then HAVE_SUPERLU is defined to be
>>>

>>> /* Define to ENABLE_SUPERLU if SUPERLU is found */
>>> #define HAVE_SUPERLU ENABLE_SUPERLU
>>>

>>> in the  config.h file
>>>

>>> But, e.g. in amg.hh there is the praam #if HAVE_SUPERLU
>>>

>>> so is it the case that, since HAVE_SUPERLU is defined
>>> to ENABLE_SUPERLU
>>> and not 1, that part of the code is then not compiled in ?
>>
>> I'll defer to others to answer authoritatively, but I believe that's
>> more or less as intended by the design.  The reasoning is, I believe,
>> that the SuperLU feature should not be automatically enabled when it's
>> found on a particular computer system.  In other words, the developer
>> using the ISTL must specifically enable SuperLU by including the
>> $(SUPERLU_CPPFLAGS) in the program's (or library's) _CPPFLAGS primary
>> (or globally using the AM_CPPFLAGS primary).
>>
>> The $(SUPERLU_CPPFLAGS) specify, among other things such as include
>> paths, the string "-DENABLE_SUPERLU=1" on systems providing SuperLU.
>>

>> Sincerely,

Benedikt Oswald, Dr. sc. techn., dipl. El. Ing. ETH, www.psi.ch, Computational Accelerator Scientist, http://amas.web.psi.ch
Paul Scherrer  Institute (PSI), CH-5232 Villigen, Suisse, benedikt.oswald at psi.ch, +41(0)56 310 32 12

"Passion is required for any great work, and for the revolution passion and audacity are required in big doses.",
 Ernesto 'Che' Guevara, Letter to his parents.