[Dune] UG grid - limit on grid size?

Eike Mueller E.Mueller at bath.ac.uk
Wed Oct 5 15:26:39 CEST 2011

Oliver Sander wrote:

> Hm, interesting.  I have never seen this error message before.
>
> What do you mean by 128x128x32x6 elements?
I construct the cubed sphere by arranging 6 cubes, each subdivided into
128x128x32 elements, around a (hollow) cube. I then bend and 'glue' the
24 faces together (I needed to build myself a 3d foam model to figure
out how to do that...).

> How much ram does your machine have?

3.9GB

> Are you using the StructuredGridFactory?
No, just GridFactory.

Thanks,

Eike

Can you please file a bug
> with a small test program so this doesn't get lost?
>
> Thanks,
> Oliver
>
> Am 05.10.2011 15:07, schrieb Eike Mueller:
>> Hi Oliver,
>>
>> this works, thanks a lot! After recompiling UG I can go up to
>> 64x64x16x6, but if I try 128x128x32x6 (~ 2^22, but again, it's a serial
>> run) I now get this:
>>
>> ERROR in InsertElement: ==> NdElPtrArray_GetMemAndCheckIDs( ) ERROR: No
>> memory for MGNDELEMBLK(theMG,j)
>> ERROR in InsertElement: ERROR by calling NdElPtrArray_GetMemAndCheckIDs()
>> terminate called after throwing an instance of 'Dune::GridError'
>>
>> I tried increasing the heap size in the uggrid construction
>>
>> uggrid = new Dune::UGGrid<3>(10000);
>>
>> but I still get the same error message.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Eike
>>
>> Oliver Sander wrote:
>>> Hi Eike!
>>> This is a known problem. Please see the FAQ entry 4.2 on the dune
>>> homepage
>>> for an explanation and a workaround.
>>> Cheers,