[Dune] Parallel grid partitioning

Jö Fahlke jorrit at jorrit.de
Thu Oct 13 10:59:25 CEST 2011

Am Wed, 12. Oct 2011, 20:37:04 +0100 schrieb Eike Mueller:
> ok, I'll try the default loadbalancing first, maybe that's already
> not too far away from what I want, at the moment I'm still
> struggling as I can't get METIS to work. Hopefully the partitioning
> will be reasonably close to what I want, it should at least keep
> vertical columns together and usually I have more elements going
> around the globe than in the radial/vertical direction (ratio is
> about 16 to 1).

ALUGrid has a native file format which it can read pre-partitioned grids
from.  So if all else fails maybe it's worthwhile looking at this format and
figuring out how to create such a file by hand or with a script.

This may also be handy if you want to be sure you always use the same grid (as
Rebecca said, there appears to be some randomness in the partitioning
algorithm):  Use ALUGrid to partition a grid, write it out in ALUGrid format,
check if it suits you, repeat until your satisfied.

Bye,
Jö.

--
Jorrit (Jö) Fahlke, Interdisciplinary Center for Scientific Computing,
Heidelberg University, Im Neuenheimer Feld 368, D-69120 Heidelberg

Kiss a non-smoker; taste the difference.
-- fortune