[Dune] Parallel grid partitioning

Jö Fahlke jorrit at jorrit.de
Thu Oct 13 13:16:34 CEST 2011

Am Thu, 13. Oct 2011, 11:17:01 +0200 schrieb Markus Blatt:
> That is an interesting feature. Does anyone know how the prepartioned
> grid is read in?

Each rank has it's own file.  Just give the file name as a constructor
argument when creating the grid.

>                  Does every process read its own partition or does a
> master process read the whole grid and distributes it according to the
> partitioning?

Each process reads it's own, no redistribution has to be done.

> How much memory is needed per process? Just enough for its partition
> or more?

Just enough for it's partition.

For me, this provided the only way to go onto the cluster:  The cluster nodes
didn't have enough memory to read in and partition the full grid -- so I did
the partitioning on a shared-memory system lots of RAM and copied the
resulting .alu files to the cluster.

There are some utility programs in dune-grid/src:

 - gmsh-to-alu, which  reads in a gmsh  file, lets ALUGrid  distribute it, and
   writes  out the resulting  ALUGrid files  (optionally with  physical entity
   information attached to the codim=0 entities).

 - alu-to-vtk, which reads in a set of native ALUGrid files and produces a set
   of VTK files from it, so you can have a look at the partitioning.

You need to configure dune-grid with --enable-extra-utils, otherwise these
utilities are not compiled.

Bye,
Jö.

--
Jorrit (Jö) Fahlke, Interdisciplinary Center for Scientific Computing,
Heidelberg University, Im Neuenheimer Feld 368, D-69120 Heidelberg

Der Horizont vieler Menschen ist ein Kreis mit Radius Null - und das
nennen sie ihren Standpunkt.
-- A. Einstein