[Dune] dune-geometry and Dune::Geometry

Jö Fahlke jorrit at jorrit.de
Thu Oct 13 16:03:38 CEST 2011

Hi!

Christoph Grüninger has been working on dune-geometry for the last 1.5 weeks
and its coming along pretty nice.  It isn't quite ready for general scrutiny
yet -- we will tell you when we think its worth your time to look at it -- but
there is one question that we have stumbled upon for which we need your input
(see also FS#959[1]).

[1] http://www.dune-project.org/flyspray/index.php?do=details&task_id=959

This is the question of how much of Dune::Geometry to actually move to
dune-geometry.  Dune::Geometry itself is an interface class for parts of a
grid and as such takes the grid as a template parameter, so it definitely
belongs into dune-grid.  In FS#957[2] there is a discussion about the
internals.  From that I gather that GenericGeometry::Geometry,
GenericGeometry::LocalGeometry and GenericGeometry::BasicGeometry belong into
dune-grid.  But stuff like the mappings may go into dune-geometry.

[2] http://www.dune-project.org/flyspray/index.php?do=details&task_id=957

Is that about right?  Can you give us some hints on what should definitely go
into dune-geometry and what should definitly stay in dune-grid?

Thanks,
Jö.

--
Jorrit (Jö) Fahlke, Interdisciplinary Center for Scientific Computing,
Heidelberg University, Im Neuenheimer Feld 368, D-69120 Heidelberg

It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but
an act of murder.
-- Albert Einstein