[Dune] P2 shape functions for prism and pyramid are missing

Tania Firijulina tatianafiriulina at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 14:50:30 CEST 2011

computation thing and >had to calculate the derivatives by hand. Here it is
as patch against revision 996. It is included in >test-localfe and passes
this test. I have not tested it in a real computation yet.
>I also included it in pqkfactory.hh, but there seems to be no test for that
inside dune-localfunctions. >Maybe somebody already has one?

>----------

Well, while have been a Ph.D. student, I mentioned to one of my scientfic
advisors that I would like to obtain the formulas of higher order for the
exact integration of generic monomials of barycentric coordinate over
geometrical shapes corresponding to so called finite volume element method
on simplexes. I thought hovewer about the formulas that would use picewise
linear conforming finite elements over simplexes for a couple of variables,
i.e., the solution, the thermophysical characteristics and so on so that
their products would necessary imply the integration of the monomials of the
order higer that one in barycentric coordinates. What was my surprise when a
month after my scientific advisor told me she asked other Master of Science
students to develop the methods for the polynomials of the higher order for
the solution itself, this means the introduction of several dual grids
w.r.t. the quadratic polynomials on a simplex. Nevereless, I think that my
advisor just followed our publication mentioning the possibility of
derivation of the "formulas of higher order", not knowing exactly what I
wanted to obtain. Afterwards I left the country for a very nice work aboard
and their continued the work on the finite volume element methods and
unortunately, always when e.g. an integration of the monomilas for a source
term was necessary or in other ocations, never mentioned my authorship, just
used my formulas for the source terms (with 11/54 and 7/108) and gave a
reference but just a nice reference to a computational mathematics paper, in
which my formulas do not appear, hovewer (their were a part of my Ph.D.
original contribution forming a scientific novelty of it). Also, when I was
told by my advisor she is considering the shape function of the second
order, I did recieve the corresponding exact integration formulas for my
technology of exact integration of interpolation polynomilas in the FVE
methods via representation throught monomials of barycentric coordinates.
What was my surprise to see the last year and being at an another continent,
in America, that exactly these fromulas that I that time gave to my
sccientific advisor, also for the sourse terms were reported as a scientific
novelty contribution of an another sudent of the same scientific advisor,
without any reference on a private comunication and the scheet of paper that
I gave to them. I understand that perhaps, I should not complain but
yesterday I read that some problems and difficult thoughts that maintain in
our brain, may cause a desease. Thus, I do write to you the truth as it is
already during many years that the they do not cite my SMALL contribution to
suggest to do this through the barycentric coordinates and put the
corresponding exact integration fromulas at the base of a technology for the
FVE method.

Perhaps, they obtained the formulas for the second order shape functions for
the tetrahedron, please write an e mail to Shurina Ella Petrovna,
shurina at sinor.ru. I would do that myself,  but they do not answer if I do
write an e mail to them. I do not know, what I done wrong: I always cited in
my CV the names and the scientific degrees of my scientific advisors and
respected our common publications;