[Dune] [Dune-Commit] dune-grid r7996 - trunk/dune/grid/common

Carsten Gräser graeser at math.fu-berlin.de
Sat Apr 21 00:21:11 CEST 2012

Hi Oliver,
while the BoundaryPatch is a nice tool to do boundary related
stuff one you have constructed it, the descibed way of doing the
latter does not really solve the problem for two reasons:

* In many cases you would like to define the patch as a set
  of boundary faces/intersections. One can imagine two
  ways to do this unsing vertices:
  (a) Put all faces that share one marked vertex in the patch.
  (b) Put all faces that have all vertices marked in the patch.
  Unfortunately none of these approaches covers all possible
  patches. Even worse there are patches that can't be constructed
  by both of them: Conside a cube with 4 vertices where the patch
  should contain face 1,2,6 (using a dice-like face numbering).

* Similar to the boundary segments, the interface does not guarantee
  that the vertex insertion index is the same as the level-0 index.
  Hence you still need to do the same renumbering you would need
  for boundary segmentes using GridFactory::insertionIndex().

Best,
Carsten

BTW:
You could also setup a BoundaryPatch using a set of boundary segemnt
indices or the grid factory and a set of insertion indices.