[Dune] [Dune-Commit] dune-common r6651 - branches/cmake/cmake/modules

Bård Skaflestad Bard.Skaflestad at sintef.no
Mon Apr 23 18:11:46 CEST 2012

On Mon, 2012-04-23 at 17:48 +0200, Christian Engwer wrote:
> Hi Bard,
>
> I have to disagree.

And reading your response it's clear we're talking about (slightly)
different things.  I never meant to suggest that a user be able to say

        make CXX=something

I fully agree this is technically allowed, but dangerous for exactly the
reasons you list (name mangling, TR1 support &c).  On the other hand,
the user should be fully able to say

        configure CXX=something

Sorry for being unclear.

Admittedly, the configure CXX=something case is handled by the current
scheme of appending "-std=" to the CXX variable, but I still think it's
better to pass flags internal to the build system through the official
AM_* flags mechanism.

Now, with respect to the overwhelmingly common case

        make CXXFLAGS=something

I fully agree.  This is sanctioned by the Autotools and must continue to
work.

Bård