[Dune] gridfactory for rank > 0

Oliver Sander sander at mi.fu-berlin.de
Fri Aug 17 08:50:57 CEST 2012

Hi Andreas,
just so I understand your question correctly: you want to create the macro
grid on rank 0 only, and then distribute it.  Your question is: what happens
if I call insertVertex on other processes anyway?

> What is the expected behaviour for a GridFactory created on a process
> with rank>0?
> 1) You are not allowed to call things like insertVertex (ALU throws an
> exception)
> 2) insertVertex can be called but createGrid still returns an empty grid

AFAIK that was never discussed, and I'd have to look to know what UG does.
As somebody who doesn't really do parallel computing I have no opinion
on the subject.

> In the docu for UG we have
> If you're working on a parallel machine, and you want to set up a
> parallel grid, proceed as described only on the rank-0 process.
> Call <tt>loadBalance()</tt> to actually distribute the grid
> so the ALU behaviour seems the correct one?

Originally, the UGGrid behavior/docu basically just mimicked what UG
does/expects internally.  So we can change any of that with a democratic
vote.

best,
Oliver