[Dune] Returning Geometries As Objects

Martin Nolte nolte at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de
Tue Feb 7 08:56:05 CET 2012

Hi all,

I very much agree that well-defined and carefully implemented tests are
extremely important and should work at all times. All help in this area is
very much appreciated. Unfortunately, our tests do not satisfy these demands.

Therefore, I think this discussion should be kept separate from the discussion
whether to merge a change or not.

If anyone thinks more testing should be done before the merge, I'm willing to
support him. But:
a) I demand a well-defined test (including what external modules to use)
b) I expect the test to run on the trunk and fail on the branch
c) It should be done this week

I'm not willing to postpone the merge for another month just because people
don't come around to testing. This entire discussion only started yesterday,
although I announced the merge a week ago.

We can discuss everything, create a release branch before the merge, even
postpone the merge until after the next developer meeting. But don't step
forward just a second before the branch is actually merged (or even thereafter).

I also think that half the developers could write a mail like 'go ahead' (or
'please wait') on such a fairly invasive patch (quote: Oli), so that the
implementor (in this case me) knows where he stands. Such a mail is written in
less than a minute.

Currently, my impression is as follows: Carsten and Oli would like to enhance
the lifetime of the geometry objects, Robert agrees to merge, and some users
are afraid of breaking their code. Of course, the positive decision on the
last developer meeting is positive towards this change.

*NOTICE*: This is the final announcement. Unless a developer objects, the
branch will be merged 2 PM today!

Yours,

Martin

--
Dr. Martin Nolte <nolte at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de>

Universität Freiburg                                   phone: +49-761-203-5630
Abteilung für angewandte Mathematik                    fax:   +49-761-203-5632
Hermann-Herder-Straße 10
79104 Freiburg, Germany