[Dune] Returning Geometries As Objects

Martin Nolte nolte at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de
Tue Feb 7 12:07:52 CET 2012

Hi Oli,

as far as I understood Christian, he wants the lifetime (I mean the time in
which the geometry remains valid) to be unlimited before the next release.
Changing the user code to call geometry only once (which would be wise anyway)
might take a lot of time and, therefore, I think a longer transition period
would be good.

Moreover, I'm still not sure on the correct path. I see at least three
possibilities:

A geometry object is valid
(a) for ever (i.e., as long as it exists)
(b) as long as the grid, the entity belongs to
(c) as long as the entity exists within the grid
(d) as long as the corresponding entity pointer is valid (current situation)

I think we should at least prescribe (c), so that, e.g., references to the
corners are allowed.

So: What kind of limit on the lifetime of a geometry do you have in mind?

Best,

Martin