[Dune] Returning Geometries As Objects

Martin Nolte nolte at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de
Wed Feb 8 20:00:51 CET 2012

Hi Steffen,

what you say is true: Such code might break in a very subtle way. Unfortunately,
the compiler seems not to be able to warn when caching such a reference to a
temporary. However, I think this problem will only occur in discretization
frameworks, and, hence is under our direct control. In dune-fem, geometry
references were only stored in very few places.

The issue concerning meta grids is not really a problem. Only very few people
have ever created their own grid and they shouldn't have any problem adapting
their code. Moreover, I'm very willing to help in case of problems. I would also
like to point out that, having already changed such a meta grid (IdGrid), the
code looks much nicer and clearer, now. And for the 2.5 guys who actually care:
It is also faster.

Best,

Martin