[Dune] Debian packages -- what is the status?

Jö Fahlke jorrit at jorrit.de
Mon Jan 9 12:55:17 CET 2012

Am Fri,  6. Jan 2012, 11:47:28 +0100 schrieb Oliver Sander:
> AFAIK there has been quite a bit of work done in Heidelberg on setting
> up an infrastructure for binary package creation.  What is the current
> status?  Are there packages for a Debian installation yet?  What are
> your plans?

This is a bit of a mess.

There was one student (Stefan Breuning) who worked on packaging and an
automated build system.  His work can be seen in
<https://svn.dune-project.org/svn/dune-debian/branches/2.1/>.  This is working
in principle, and anybody should be able to set up a virtual machine to build
packages for Debian and Ubuntu.  What is missing is the setup on one of our
servers to build packages for trunk on a regular basis.  I just didn't have
time to do this.

Meanwhile, another student joined us who happens to be an official Debian
developer (Ansgar Burchardt <ansgar.burchardt at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de>) .  He's
redone the packaging (mostly because he found it interesting I think).  I
don't think his work is available publicly, if you are interested you'll have
to ask him directly.  Since he's mostly aiming official Debian packages there
are a number of licensing problems that crept up with SuperLU and (Par)Metis.
In short, it may be impossible to distribute binary packages that have been
compiled with these libraries (either directly or indirectly via ALUGrid).

( In the long run, to keep the licensing problems as local as possible, I'd
  like to see UG and ALUGrid split out of dune-grid into seperate grid
  modules. )

Bye,
Jö.

--
Jorrit (Jö) Fahlke, Interdisciplinary Center for Scientific Computing,
Heidelberg University, Im Neuenheimer Feld 368, D-69120 Heidelberg

Software is like sex; it's better when it's free.
-- Linus Torvalds