[Dune] Debian packages -- what is the status?

Ansgar Burchardt ansgar.burchardt at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Mon Jan 9 13:31:12 CET 2012

Hi,

On 01/06/2012 11:47 AM, Oliver Sander wrote:
> AFAIK there has been quite a bit of work done in Heidelberg on setting
> up an infrastructure for binary package creation. What is the current
> status? Are there packages for a Debian installation yet? What are
> your plans?

I did start working on this last month.  Currently I have packages for
dune-{common,geometry,grid,istl,localfunctions,pdelab} that at least
serve my needs (for now).  They are available on [1], the binary
packages should work on Debian testing/unstable.

   [1] <http://www.43-1.org/~ansgar/apt/pool/main/d/>

There are several things still on my TODO list for the packages:

  - How to handle sonames for the shared libraries? They need to change
    on each ABI change which likely means every DUNE release.  I am not
    sure if it also depends on the selected configure options.

  - How to handle the test suite?  Currently building the package runs
    "make test" by default which fails (I don't worry about this too
    much as the package is based on the latest SVN revision when I
    started).

  - Which options should be used to build binary packages?  This also
    involves checking the licenses of the used external libraries.
    Currently I used --enable-parallel, --enable-shared,
    --enable-fieldvector-size-is-method, --with-alberta, --with-gmp and
    --with-superlu.

  - Maybe debug symbols should be included in -dbg packages?  Should be
    easy to implement.

  - debian/copyright needs a list of copyright holders if the package
    should be included in the official Debian archive later.

and some other minor things.

I haven't done any work on providing regular builds of the current trunk
yet.

Any comments on the packaging and help is of course welcome.

Regards,
Ansgar